The University of the Northwest constructed the building known today as Charles City College Hall, as well as the quartzite base of what would become Lewis Hall, literally building the foundations for Morningside College.
Grace Methodist Episcopal Church
Morningside College acquired E. C. Peters’ land in 1903. Dr. Lewis asked Grace M.E. Church to raise $5000 of the purchase price; in exchange, he promised that the parcel of land at the prominent northwest corner of Morningside and Garretson Avenues would be reserved for a new church. The Grace congregation built its second church building there after its first building became too crowded. Former Sioux City resident Joseph Field of Manchester, England, brother of department-store magnate Marshall Field, gave the eleven bells to the church.
The S.A.T.C. (Student Army Training Corps) Barracks, in use later on as a men’s dormitory. Martha Graber wrote that after Hartzell Spence’s book became popular, an autograph seeker cut a board from the wall where young Hartzell had carved his name. The college renovated “The Barn” for chemistry and home economics, and in later years it held the men's dorm, theatre, student union, cafeteria, Sioux City Symphony Orchestra, and a fraternity, before the college tore it down in 1959.
Sororities on Campus
Kappa Zeta Chi sisters practice dance steps in their sorority hall in the east wing of the Women's Residence Hall, before the Army Air Cadets took over the building. In 1937, Morningside had three sororities (Alpha Sigma, Kappa Pi Alpha, and KZC) and three fraternities (Alpha Tau Delta, Phi Sigma, and Sigma Theta Rho), which traced their history back to literary societies founded in the 1890's.
Campus Expansion Continues
The Commons lobby has been a center of student life since 1962. The building housed new quarters for the bookstore, health office, CR, Sioux, student council, chapel, snack bar, and post office, and added a 700-capacity dining room and large multi-purpose room.
Technology On Campus.
In the 1990s every student on campus was given a Gateway 2000 computer and campus email address, ushering a new wave of technology at Morningside.
Central Campus Reimagined.
For much of Morningside's history, the center of the campus had been parking lots. In 2009, President John Reynders realized the vision of a beautiful, functional central campus that could serve as a place for socializing, entertaining, and connecting as students, faculty, and staff moved from building to building.
The future is ours to write.
Thanks to world-class facilities, a 99% job placement rate, outstanding athletics and a focus on academic excellence, Morningside’s future has never been brighter.
Morningside College at 125
In many ways, Morningside College at 125 serves as a companion to the centennial book. In addition to bringing Morningside's history up to date with the events of the past 25 years, this second volume also includes new information and an update to the first 100 years.
With hundreds of new photos not featured in the centennial book, Morningside College at 125 is an updated, comprehensive telling of the storied history of the college.